To view a collection of Bishop Peter’s writings on various topics over the years, click here.
Bishop Peter’s logo echoes Jesus’ greeting to his disciples after his resurrection: “Peace be with you”. It was at Easter, 1980, that the Diocese of Palmerston North came into being and Pentecost became its Patronal Feast.
Email contact: [email protected]
- Born: 29 November 1937, at Oringi, near Dannevirke
- Primary Schooling: Waiaruhe (district school); St Joseph’s Dannevirke
- Secondary School: at Marist Brothers’ High School, Palmerston North
- Seminaries: Holy Name Seminary, Christchurch, 1956-58; Genoa, 1958-62
- Ordained Priest: 23 December 1961, Genoa
- Degrees: Licentiate in Sacred Theology, Angelicum, Rome, 1964, Master of Theology, Otago, 1980
- Appointments: Basilica of the Sacred Heart Wellington., 1965-72; Pastoral Centre Staff, Palmerston North, 1973-80; Part time lecturer in Theology, Holy Cross College, 1969-77
- Appointed first Bishop of Palmerston North, March 1980
- Ordained Bishop: 23 April 1980
- President of the New Zealand Catholic Bishops’ Conference between 1997 and 2003
- Member of the Episcopal Board of ICEL between 1983 and 2003
- Awarded Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit for services to the community